Sunday, January 29, 2012

Oh what have I just done?

Ok it’s funny this blog gets written earlier and earlier each week. Well funny is not exactly the right word to use since its Thursday and I’ve been in a pissy mood all day. It started first thing this morning when Smug Git told me I was fat! What! I can hear a collective sharp intake of breath from y’all……Well he never actually said the words “you’re fat” but I know that’s what he was thinking it was written all over that smug face (I think) anyway that’s what I heard loud and clear. I know y’all are desperate to find out exactly what he said.

Me “that’s me almost back to my weight last Saturday and it’s only Thursday”

SG “Yeah we really need to figure out the weekends this yo-yoing is crap”

See loud and clear “fat cow” - I told you. And who is this “we” he’s talking about? The last time I looked it was me who was starving herself to death living off a few measly calories a day, no chips, no chocolate, no food, no fun! Oh… Sorry… I’m rambling a bit. I’m obviously delirious from lack of food.

Anyway I head off to pick Lesley up for work, poor Lesley I now have a captive audience and she has to listen to me all the way to work moan and groan about SG. I try not to moan too much at work and I’m quite successful until the end of the day when yes you guessed it I’m back in the car with Lesley and, I think it’s the thought of going home, but I start all over again. We are talking about the weekends and how hard it is and she comes up with this brilliant idea. She thinks I should stop weighing myself every day because it’s driving me crazy which it is, I should give Gus (The Perfect Son) the bathroom scales when I go home and tell him to hide them and not tell me where he has hidden them (see - not once did she call me fat). Now I think this idea sucks big time but I’m all yes I’m so going to do this. This will be great for my blog - one week without weighing myself. I can do that! it can’t be that hard right?

I get home, go into the bathroom have a wee quick weigh in and then take the scales to Gus.

Me: “Gus! Can you come here a minute”

Gus: “Sure”

Me: “Please take these bathroom scales upstairs and hide them. Do not tell me where they are even if I bribe you with money, tablet (Scottish candy for those of you who don’t know) or pizza.”

Gus: “Are you ok?”

Me: “Yes why?”

Gus: “Are you crying?”

Me: “NO! Shut up and take them away before I change my mind”

He actually gave me a hug and then I did want to cry. Oh my god what have I just done? I told you this idea sucks. Lesley I’m going to kill you. I’m not quite sure what I’ll achieve from this maybe I won’t have the downer of a Sunday morning weigh in, maybe I’ll just have to stick to it over the weekend for fear of putting too much weight on I don’t know all I can say is right now I’m a bit freaked out. I feel like I’m going cold turkey.

Friday morning I get up and go into the bathroom and longingly look at the space on the floor where the scales used to sit. I might just step on the spot and imagine the number…

Oh for god sake woman pull yourself together!

Ride day and I’m awake at 4:30. I’m really nervous and not sure I can do 37 miles but I’ll give it my best shot. We arrive in Katy at about 6:30 for a 7:30 start. The weather is quite nice - not to cold there’s a sea of cars and bikes and it looks amazing. I don’t think I’ve ever saw so many bikes in one place but what is it with bike riders and their yellow, green and orange tops! They’re not just yellow, green and orange they’re YELLOW, GREEN and ORANGE !!! Come on people I can see you it’s day time seriously I think the reason bike riders have to wear sunglasses is not to protect their eyes from the sun but to protect their eyes for the bike jerseys! Then I turn around and what would you know, Smug Git has on a YELLOW top. Oh kill me now! I head over to the toilets because there are only portaloo’s on the ride and they are disgusting and if I can help it I want to avoid using them, anyway I get into the restroom and look what I see. A big giant scale! I could just sneak a wee weigh in and no one would know, oh bummer I don’t have a quarter now that sucks!




We head to the start line and the ride starts in groups starting with the fastest riders first so the guy’s that can ride at 18 to 20 mph head off then 15 to 17 mph - ok don’t panic I’m not going to go through this wave by wave but you get the idea. I’m there just taking it all in thinking it’s going to be a while until I should be going and then suddenly Steve (the Don) decides we’re going now! In this group! Seriously!!! I am crapping myself - I start shouting at SG “this is exactly why I don’t want to do this stupid bike riding crap” but you’re just moved along with the crowd and I’m not joking. I felt sick. I don’t know what my face must have been like but one of the ride marshals was laughing at me and he’s all “Smile! it’s a beautiful day for a bike ride I can hear SG behind me snort. Oh I want to punch both their faces right in and The Don!... All I see is his bloody YELLOW top speed off into the distance. If I could ever catch him I’d punch his face in too!

I settle into riding along. I’m not sure if I’ve told y’all this but I really am shite on my bike. I’ve not fallen off (so far) but I’ve had a few near misses because I can’t stop. Once I’m on - I’m on. Stopping - Oh my god, I hate it! So I have learned to cycle very slowly so that by the time I get to the stop sign or whatever everyone is moving off. So far it’s worked out for me but I don’t know how long it’s going last, but thankfully it’s working today. The ride in Katy was flat - thank god - but like last week it was very windy for most of the ride which made my overall pace slower (11.7) than last week but hey, I’m ok with that since I did do 37.9 miles. I did say to SG when he told me how far we’d gone “What! We couldn’t just have gone round the parking lot to get to 38?” but to be honest I don’t think I could have gone another inch I was so so tired. Happy it was over, but tired.

Next week’s ride is in Sealy, Texas and its 44 miles I’m getting up there to that elusive 50 I might have to have a wee pasta party when I get to that goal!

Serious Bit…

I thought I would just remind y’all why am doing this every week. I know most of you know but maybe someone out there in blog land might pick this week to read my blog and not have a bloody clue why I’m torturing myself every week.

Multiple sclerosis (or MS) is a chronic, often disabling disease that attacks the central nervous system (CNS), which is made up of the brain, spinal cord, and optic nerves. Symptoms may be mild, such as numbness in the limbs, or severe, such as paralysis or loss of vision. The progress, severity, and specific symptoms of MS are unpredictable and vary from one person to another. Today, new treatments and advances in research are giving new hope to people affected by the disease.

MS is thought to be an Autoimmune Disease. The body’s own defense system attacks myelin, the fatty substance that surrounds and protects the nerve fibers in the central nervous system. The nerve fibers themselves can also be damaged. The damaged myelin forms scar tissue (sclerosis), which gives the disease its name. When any part of the myelin sheath or nerve fiber is damaged or destroyed, nerve impulses traveling to and from the brain and spinal cord are distorted or interrupted, producing the variety of symptoms that can occur.

Most people with MS learn to cope with the disease and continue to lead satisfying, productive lives.

By donating to my page we can help the National MS Society move forward toward a world without MS and making a difference in the lives of 400,000 Americans with multiple sclerosis.

The BP MS 150 is a two-day fundraising cycling ride organized by the National MS Society: Lone Star. This ride is the largest event of its kind in North America. In 2011, the event raised more than $16 million for MS.

The ride is a 180-mile journey for MS from Houston to Austin. Breakpoints are positioned every 8-15 miles. The ride begins Saturday morning at three convenient starting points: Tully Stadium in Houston, Rhodes Stadium in Katy and Waller Stadium in Waller. Day One ends at the Fayette County Fairgrounds for an overnight in La Grange.

On Sunday morning riders can take one of two routes that lead to Bastrop. The final leg of Day Two takes riders into Austin for an exciting Finish Line at the capital.
Here is my link if you would like to donate to this very worthwhile cause.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/izzi

Thanks for reading! See y’all next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment